Digital Conversion Station at NDL
Convert older video and audio formats into digital files. Conversion equipment is located in the Local History Room on the Lower Level of the Library.
YOU MUST ATTEND A SHORT DEMO PRIOR TO FIRST USE OF ANY DIGITAL CONVERSION EQUIPMENT.
Register for a Short Demo PRIOR to First Use of Equipment.
- Call or register online for a demo, which are held every other Friday at 12:30pm. Registration is preferred. Drop ins are accepted, but please call first to be sure demo is being held. 248.349.3020, ext. 226.
- Scheduled dates for training, every FRIDAY @ 12:30pm
September 8, September 15, September 22, October 6, October 13, October 20, October 27, November 3, November 10, November 17, December 1, December 8, December 15, December 22, and December 29
- OR attend a TechXpert Session for a demo and extra help with equipment.
- Register online or call.
How To Reserve Time on the Equipment
- OR sign up for a 2 or 4 hr block ONLINE. Use the following Link:
- OR call 248-349-3020 ext 226 and request to book time with the Conversion Equipment. ALWAYS advise what you are looking to convert, so we can have packets ready for you.
- Drop-ins to use the equipment are allowed if you have attended a demo, are familiar with the equipment, and do not require tech assistance. We ask that you check in at the Reference Desk under the COMPUTER HELP sign before you begin. If you drop in, there are NO GUARANTEES of availability.
What Can I Convert?
- VHS tape to DVD
- VHS or DVD to digital file (.mov)
- VHS or DVD to digital file on iMac
- Phonograph Record to MP4a or OGG* to MP3
- Audiocassette to digital audio file
- DVD to digital file ( .mov)
- Photographs to digital file (can be edited after digitized)
- Slides or Negatives to digital photo file (can be edited after)
- 8MM or Super 8 Reel to Reel Film
- (NEW) Video8, Hi8 and Digital 8 to Digital File (.MOV)
- (NEW) BookEdge Scanner (for scanning books and other printed material w/OCR capability)
How Much Time Will I Need to Convert?
- This will vary depending on your familiarity with the equipment AND what is being converted.
- Estimated times: if your original format runs an hour, it will take approximately one hour to dub/convert. This does not include set up time.
- Do NOT walk away from a conversion session: you may lose your work as a result of leaving a session unattended!
Digital Conversion Equipment Available
- Apple iMac computer
- DVD/VHS Recorder
- 3-speed turntable
- Analog to Digital USB Converter
- Cassette and Tape to Digital Converter w/USB
- Photoshop Elements v15
- Epson V600 Perfection (8.5" x 12" max size)
- Wolverine 8MM/Super 8 Film Converter
- Wolverine Titan Slide and Negative Scanner
- Sony Video and Hi 8 Player (Sony EV-C100)
- Sony Digital 8 Cassette Player
- Plustek Optibook A300+
- FOR PURCHASE at Circulation Desk: 32 GB microSD and SD flash cards; DVD-R (@ Reference Desk only); 16 and 32 GB flashdrives
PLEASE NOTE: THE LIBRARY IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR MEDIA.
COPYRIGHT NOTICE: The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. The person using this equipment is responsible for any infringement.
This equipment is NOT professional grade, and is not intended for large conversion projects. For those projects try: