Online self-paced lessons in over 65 different foreign languages
- Basic ESL – Basic ESL improves an individual’s listening, speaking, reading and writing skills through a simple to follow, and instructional proven curriculum. Students learn English quickly and effectively on relevant topics including: family, home, school and many other topics. In each lesson students learn key vocabulary and how to use that vocabulary in conversation.
- Duolingo – Free online lessons in a self-paced game format.
- Easy World of English – An attractive, user-friendly website including grammar, pronunciation, reading and listening practice and an interactive picture dictionary.
- Live Lingua – Internet’s largest collection of free public domain language learning materials. Thousands of free e-books, audio recordings and videos in over 130 different languages.
- Open Culture – One stop shop to find the best free online resources to learn any of 48 different foreign languages online.
- Perfect Pronunciation Exercises – Practice sounds, syllable stress, and sentence intonation with the exercises on the Merriam-Webster Learner’s Dictionary website.
- Voice of America Special English – News stories written for non-native speakers of English, including current world news and feature stories on education, health, and other topics. Read along with the text of the story while you listen or watch video news stories with English subtitles.
FREE APPS – Available through the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store
Duolingo – Same as the website but in a handy mobile format for on the go lessons.
Mango Languages – Sign in using your library card and you can take the languages lessons with you on your mobile devices!
Memrise – Another fun way to learn languages, similar to Duolingo.
Available through apps like Podcasts app (iPhone, iPad), Stitcher app, Google Play Music app.
- ESLPOD – A podcast for those wanting to learn or improve their English – great for any ESL or EFL learner.
- “Coffee Break” Series: – Each lesson is short and geared toward conversational learning. Available in Spanish, French, Italian, German and Chinese.
- “News in Slow” Series: – Learn a new language using current events. Available in French, Spanish, Italian and German.